So we are right by the most popular green promenade of the city. A lush boardwalk that runs parallel to the coast, built in the XIX century in a Romanic style with Elizabethan layout.
It covers the length of the Alameda Apodaca, named after the gaditan admiral Juan José Ruiz de Apodaca y Eliza in 1856, and the adjacent Alameda del Marqués de Comillas, named after Claudio López Bru, second marquis of Comillas.
A couple of metres away from the building we find the monument that the city raised in memory of the latter. Don Claudio Lopez Bru, was both a successful entrepreneur and a devoted philanthropist.
He inherited the title of Marquis from his father together with various enterprises. The Spanish Transatlantic Company was the largest among them and he soon became the general Director.
Cádiz was the leading spanish harbour at the time, so it might well have been his close relationship and connection to the local maritime trade that deserved him the aforementioned tribute.
The statue impersonates his bust, 2 ship bowsprits (bow and stern) and a lion together with a condor, representing Europe and América respectively. A midwife holding a baby mirrors a motherly role of Spain with regards to the Americas.
The author, catalan sculptor Antoni Parera y Saurina, allowed for a peculiar vault in the basement of the construction that was later turned into a public maritime library.