The building is included in the official list of the Local Council´s heritage protection program, rating a maximum grade (Lvl.0) with regards to underlying archaeology and Level 1 in terms of ethnology.
Let’s now focus on the history of what we said was one of our main motivations for this collection, namely the city quarter it belongs to.
The Barrio del Pópulo in Cádiz is at the core of this millennary city and it can be accessed through 3 different gates. These were built in the XIII century as part of the medieval city´s defensive walls. These archways are named del Pópulo, de la Rosa and de los Blancos and they have boldly withstood the test of time until today together with some sections of the original defensive walls.
The name Pópulo supposedly stems from a painting that hang in one of the gates of the wall which featured Virgin Mary and the message “Ora pro populo” – latin for “pray for the people”.
It is the quarter of the city with the largest amount of monuments per sq.mt. and 2 of them are certainly worth highlighting: The Church of Santa Cruz (aka Old Cathedral) and the Roman Theatre.
The latter was only discovered in 1980 although it dates back to the first century BC! It’s one of the largest roman theatres, which speaks for the relevance that the old city of Gades had within the roman empire.
Our street was called “Detrás del Pópulo” (behind the Pópulo) until 1855, when it became Fabio Rufino. Lucius Fabio Rufino was duunvir. In Ancient Rome, duunviri were magistrates who exercised their function together with another. The pair was appointed both in the capital and in the colonies and municipalities. Further to his Local Governor position he was Judge of the Conventus Gaditanus.